Donald Trump administration sues Maine for defying executive order on transgender athletes
[ad_1] Maine governor Janet Mills (left) and US President Donald Trump United States attorney general Pam Bondi on Wednesday announced the US Department of Justice is suing the state of Maine for not complying with President Donald Trump's executive order banning transgender athletes from women's sports."Today, the Department of Justice is announcing a civil lawsuit against the Maine Department of Education. Maine is discriminating against women by failing to protect them in women's sports," Bondi told a news conference, news agency AFP reported.In doing this, Bondi said, Maine was violating Title IX, the landmark civil rights law which forbids discrimination on the basis of gender in educational facilities which receive federal support.Bondi's announcement comes after the Trump administration moved last week to cut Maine's federal funding for public schools over the issue of transgender athletes in women's sports. The Republican's […]